Last week was pretty miserable, I guess it’s practice for the next 5 years. This week’s links are important contact details for anyone thinking of protesting, marching, or organising, especially given the new laws to be made expanding the definition of extremism to
causing public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress. The mass arrests during previous protests and demonstrations show that everyone is potentially at risk.
- Novara Media do more than any other group to publicise issues outside of the mainstream media. Their weekly radio show is broadcast on Resonance 104.4FM, every Friday 1-2pm, and live on their website. They also produce short films, expect to hear more from them over the next five years.
- The Green and Black Cross are a group of volunteer first aiders and legal observers that work in protests and demonstrations to ensure everyone is safe and cared for. They provide after-arrest support, and gather evidence to defend arrestees. Write their number on your arm, they are the first people you should ring after being arrested, they’ll coordinate with family, friends, comrades, and lawyers if needed.
- Bindmans LLP are a lawyers firm that specialise in defending protesters and demonstrators from malicious, false, and illegal prosecutions by the police. Bindmans defended many student protesters for free during and after the 2010 Student Movement. They are the only lawyers you should call if charged, duty lawyers will not protect you.
- The Network for Police Monitoring gathers evidence against members of the police who racially discriminate, brutalise people, or lie to arrest & prosecute.
- The Newham Monitoring Project work specifically to protect black, Asian, ethnic minority and refugee communities in East London from racist policing.
Oscar is a congealed problem, a skin on warm sour milk. The milk is the issue of how representation entails de-politicization. Only the non-representable can remain a problem for the the regime of the sensible. Oscar is all thinkable archetypes of the outsider scrunched into the shape of a safe cartoon. That he is ‘problematic’ is part of his charm, and worse, part of his function.