Sometimes degraded ruins can be more beautiful than standing structures. It’s been weeks and weeks and weeks since the last post! I was overwhelmed with the dissertation and hand-in, then by a week off in Manchester, then an impromptu trip to a shack in the middle of nowhere in Sicily, then my graduation ceremony and general party times. All the effort was worth it, I got distinctions in all of my work, and graduated from the MA History of Art with Distinction.</p><p>To make up is an extra long list.
- #HowIQuitSpin, 200 tweet epic detailing Joshua Clover’s decision to quit Spin magazine in 2001.
- This is something that I’ve tried to start doing, writing a weekly email to friends is far preferable to the daily,
hey, hows it going. (I know that I’m also behind on the emails, as well as the blog posting!)
- A few weeks back, shortly after walking 100km in 24 hours, Wil Symons rode from London to Land’s End.
One inspector had said that he had seen girls of
tender yearssmoking cigarettes in the shop. They were also seen dancing to
music supplied by a mouth organ. Even worse, some of these young girls had become prostitutes. Another inspector was asked:
I believe it is, he replied.
- No. 21: Who is making all this coffee? No. 22: My stomach sounds like the angriest sea in the entire world. No. 23: I just drank a cup of coffee. No. 24: I just drank another cup of coffee.
- Everything I Am Afraid Might Happen If I Ask New Acquaintances to Get Coffee
No less than instruments you hold in your hand, imaginary instruments act as interfaces between mind and world, limning the edges of what we may think and do.
- I never knew The Band on the Wall in Manchester is so-named because the stage was built projecting from the wall
The imam looked over the congregation.Fast Food on Lucky Peach](http://luckypeach.com/fast-food/)
Make this a blessed day for all of you; feel free to hug each other. We have brunch after.
Both the hot springs and the beaches here have been used as heat sources for cooking for centuries, when fresh water and cooking fuel were scarce and expensive. At a few places, like Ristorante Emanuela, they still are.
- The Fifth Pan-African Congress, 70 years on
Certainly, Van Gogh was the flat-sharer from hell, an insistent, overbearing presence, needy, demanding, free with advice and always knowing better.
- Flyers for the Bauhaus' first exhibition
- Symmetry not as harmony, but discontinuity
- The BFI have released 1000s of digitised films from around Britain.
Stockport is one of the satellite industrial towns to Cottonopolis as much as Lancashirian Bolton, Oldham or Rochdale but in places it also has the feel of an agricultural county town.
- Madlen Hirtentreu just loves photographing bins